Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Daniel's Reindeer



I have the best children.....and sometimes they go absolutely out of their way to do something so special for me. Such is the case with Daniel's reindeer.

This past Saturday Daniel suggested we work in the yard clearing branches and leaves deposited on the ground by Hurricane Sandy. we had been at it for just a bit when something reminded me of the tree trunk reindeer Daniel helped make one year as part of a scout merit badge. I mentioned it to him and it wasn't very long before he was out scouting for a tree he could cut down with his hatchet. I raked and watched. Marveling at his enthusiasm for a project he lacked the proper tools for....and feeling sad at the same time. But the sadness moved aside as I watched as Daniel chopped and chipped -sawed and sanded. By nightfall he had the body and two legs of his reindeer.

Sunday I had to work all day. It was cold and rainy. I thought Daniel would fill his day by cleaning his room, doing homework, or watching movies. Instead he brought me lunch....and he worked on his reindeer.
It's no secret I love reindeer. The one I would receive that evening would touch my heart. Daniel texted me asking for me to let him know when I was on our road. I arrived home to all the fall lights shining, candles lit, and cinnamon sticks and cloves simmering on the stove. I could hear Rudolf, The Red Nosed Reindeer on the television and Daniel was standing in front of his reindeer-holding a blanket to unveil at the right moment. He spent his day finishing the deer. All the thought that went into this surprise was quite overwhelming and the tears flowed. What a special young man.


wish I had gotten a photo of him actually chopping it down







the white peppermints are snow.  Lego hearts and 
candy canes.  He even made the bow.

Isn't he precious?  


No comments: