Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just in case anyone thinks I am perpetually, sad, I am not. I am really doing okay with all of this. Yes, there are good moments and sad but overall I suppose I am adjusting. And there is more going on here than just getting used to Katherine being away. I now have an EAGLE SCOUT! Two weeks ago tomorrow, David had his board of review in Elizabeth City. He was so nervous and we were able to sit in an adjoining room and actually hear quite a bit of the interview. I was very impressed with David….Mr. Lange was pretty tough on him. That accomplished, we now wait for the official paperwork and then we will have his Court of Honor. David is one of the rare ones….having been in scouts since the first grade. And he will be able to stay in since he is not eighteen and when he does turn eighteen at the beginning of his senior year, I hope he will take on a leadership role. School is going well for the boys. David is loving his three AP courses, Civics, and Pre Calculus. Last week he had to be at school early twice for AP Physics labs—he loves that class. Daniel too has had a wonderful start. A little rocky getting used to the way the math teacher grades homework….but he finally got used to it. In a couple of weeks he will start SAT prep classes and fortunately they fall on the same days/time as David’s labs. Let’s not forget in just over a two months, David will get his driver’s license! The weather has turned cool. YAY! I have never been one for summer. I would have my windows open, but the wind has been howling the past couple of days. I think it is supposed to die off tomorrow so maybe then…..of course that means washing out the window sills. I love this time of year. It starts with school being back in session giving a routine which I crave. Then the cooler temperatures, the leaves start to change, and people just seem friendlier. And let’s not forget that for here anyway…..most of the tourists go home. I went to Walmart this morning….and did not sit in traffic to get there. While shopping I found myself face to face with Christmas and Halloween. In the past this has bothered me…..I hate to race away the seasons. But today there seemed something quaint with the hay, scarecrows, pumpkins, and mums outside the garden center and Christmas trees, red bows, ornaments, and lights inside. Fall and Halloween fabrics were side by side with the Christmas prints. (That so reminded me of the dresses I sewed for Katherine when she was little.) And for some reason today I was reminded of how Cathy and I would go shopping after dropping the kids off at Mom’s Morning Out….wow, that was a long time ago. I usually have my fall decorations out by now. I think I have hesitated because Katherine isn’t here, but also because of the kitten (he can be such a menace and a delight), and because my storage room is kind of scary. Maybe next week. I have a ton of projects on that list of mine. One of them is a Christmas Tree skirt. I want to quilt one. I already have the fabric (hopefully I have enough as that quilt store is now out of business) and I think I may just start next weekend. See………I don’t just sit here and mope. :- )

No comments: