Something new….
And a bit out of place. That was the experience and myself late this afternoon. You see, our family has joined a club--a few miles across the bridge in Currituck. There is an entire golfing community attached to it, but we only joined the pool/tennis courts/fitness center part.
It all started with Daniel’s interest in tennis and the little day camp he participated in at the club last month (as non members). As hot as it was (of course he had the pool to cool off in), he loved the sport of tennis! That started me thinking how good it would be for Randy and David as well. The pool would be fun for all and Katherine has mentioned wanting to learn how to use the fitness center so she would be familiar with the similar equipment at Elon.
We joined with the help of a friend/neighbor who has a lot to do with the club. (I think she helped more than she let on) We paid the manageable one time membership fee and now I have to make the monthly payments. I know some clubs charge more and I think this is doable. Kids know that it will be the first thing to go if need be.
So today I sat and wrote as the boys played tennis and then swam. I could see several ladies on the courts-not well-they were masked by a screen on the fence and greenery. I knew several as members of our community. I felt a little weird sitting alone with my notebook but enjoying the nice temperature, the sounds of the tennis balls being hit and the compliments (Nice serve!), the sounds of the kids playing in the pool.
This is a wonderful opportunity for the kids and for Randy. I hope we will make use of these facilities. I hope the boys will learn to love tennis-something to keep them active and a sport they can play for years. I hope it is a bit of a stress reducer for Randy. And who knows……maybe the day will come when I will participate and not just be an observer.
I had to smile when I went to the van to retrieve David’s goggles from the backseat. I was the only mini van in the parking lot. And probably the oldest. What is my van? A 2004 I think. White seems to be the color of choice-I counted four such suburban/SUV types. Lots of other newer cars. But hey……I think we will have fun there. One of the ladies came off the court and chatted with me a while. Maybe I didn’t look as weird as I felt.
Smile.
2 comments:
Too cool! How interesting, in light of our plans to join the local (Wake Forest) YMCA at the end of the month once Rachel comes home. Same deal ... one time fee, then monthly payments. I don't know yet if we're going to join as a family, or just the kids and one adult. Neither of the adults at this point are interested in attending. lol, but you never know. The plan is for the older kids to go and take John ... swimming and the rock climbing wall are the main attractions. You?? Not fit in?? LOL!!! You are such a wonderful person and have such a great family ... people would be nuts not to VIE for your participation! Love you! B.
I'm glad this worked out for you, Rach! It sounds like loads of fun. Go ahead and break out of that shell! You'll be glad you did. (One day you can copy and paste this comment and send it back to me. . .) seriously, I hope you'll not always be the spectator -- it's life -- LIVE IT OUT LOUD. Who cares what everyone else thinks??????
Post a Comment