My computer seems to be making funny noises just like it did a while back when I lost the fan motor. In case of it's untimely demise, I thought I would pull this story from emails sent to friends and family so I could have a record for my blog.
Everything went very well-at least from our perspective! We left here about 7:45 on Friday morning (March 7th). It started raining in Plymouth and didn't stop until evening. Katherine drove the entire two days....I never got behind the wheel and she did fabulously! We only got turned around once briefly on the way there--I took notes on exactly how we went! Oh, and we got turned around leaving the mall, but found our way. It won't take her long to master these roads.
She placed out of all levels of French! She had to score a 221 and scored a 419. Not sure how far the numbers go, but this was great! The reception Friday night was nice....had a hard time finding the building, but eventually found our place. We met one of the professors she will definitely have in the fall and we loved him immediately. Met several others -- another we really, really liked. A few students. Toured the Honors housing (and discovered you have to apply and write a letter why you want honors....) and Katherine fell in love with one of the buildings (there are two just for honors). There were kids in the rooms waiting for visitors. Went in one and three girls were watching a Disney movie (the little mermaid) and had baked brownies for their visitors. It was a lot of fun. They treated Katherine like she was someone special....I was super impressed! There were competitors there from 35 states and the Virgin Islands. I was amazed at the number of students I heard had not accepted Elon yet. Waiting to see how they did in the competition I guess before making their decision. I know that is probably smart...but I cannot imagine a better fit for Katherine. Honors or not. One of my favorite moments was when we ran into the Dean of Admissions (he was our faculty member for dinner last year at the NC Jr. Scholar's dinner). He remembered us, remembered David and Daniel, and remembered that Katherine wrote him a thank you note. :-)
Saturday morning, Katherine was really nervous. But after her welcome session (we were separated as Parent's had a different one), we met back for a session together and she was better. Then we went for her interview-arriving five minutes late as we went in the wrong side of the building. I found a place to sit and wait. The interview was supposed to go for 20 minutes. About ten minutes into it, I walked toward where she was (behind closed doors), and I could here her. Whenever Katherine gets on a roll, feels confident, secure, and passionate about something she gets this certain exuberance to her voice........when I heard that...albeit muffled, I knew she was fine. The professor (of English) loved her. She was genuinely sorry not to have more time with her......one of the neat things is that they got around to Katherine's Senior project on Orwell......well this lady loves and teaches Orwell. There were so many connections and Katherine was glowing.
Then we had lunch (Chic Filet on campus...that was neat and we had free lunch tickets). She then went to her class. Two hours and the topic was Environmental Toxins and the Developing Brain. The last forty minutes was writing a paper. She is so used to the 40 minutes timed writings in AP and get this.....she LOVED the class. Found it fascinating and has a good feeling about her paper. :-o It was on how the toxins in the Hudson Bay are responsible for birth defects. Here was her prompt: It could be said that GE has actively avoided taking responsibility in regards to the Hudson because such actions help maintain profitability and a good corporate reputation. Who should corporations be serving? Their shareholders? Their employees? Their customers? Their neighbors? Please be sure to justify your answer with a logical argument. Glad SHE found that interesting. LOL.
I don't know if she will get this....and we are trying not to get our hopes up, but I am hopeful. We will find out by April 1st. Also found out that after this year, the scholarship goes up to 10K a year. I could go on forever about the things we heard and people we met, but I won't. I was just so impressed and amazed.
And amazed with Katherine's driving and confidence. I feel better knowing she knows her way around. We stopped by the mall briefly and we stopped in Rocky Mount at the Cracker Barrel and then by Connor's house.
We really had a good time. Despite the rain ALL day Friday and how many times we were wet and cold.
So now we wait...........
No comments:
Post a Comment