Saturday, October 13, 2007

Finally Fall



The temperature started dropping on Thursday giving us the feeling that fall has finally arrived. I usually start decorating around the first of October. I was a week late this year. Hard to get in the spirit when it is almost ninety degrees outside. On Monday I decided I better go ahead or I would lose the month. Thankfully the weather cooperated shortly afterwards. I don’t know what it is about this time of year. I just love it. I love the lower humidity and the cool days. I love the colors of the leaves and the way they crunch under your feet. And when the leaves dance…..that always makes me happy. I feel I have been given a special treat when driving along and the leaves are dancing in the road. I love driving with the windows down and the heat on. I love the smell of wood smoke in the air. I am more attracted to fall colors and food. I love bundling up in fleece and sweaters and drinking hot chocolate spiked with cinnamon and topped with whipped cream. The kids love it when the wood is delivered. The boys still climb to the top of the woodpile before it is stacked. Fall has always been the time to anticipate. To make Halloween costumes. I spent years making Halloween costumes during October. We get to have the special foods we deprive ourselves of during the year. It just wouldn’t be the same to make peanut butter balls or divinity in June. Christmas is around the corner and secret plans and lists are being made. I just love fall…..

No comments: