Saturday, October 6, 2007

No More Pumpkin Patch




I have recently discovered that the Grandy Farm Market has closed. We have been going to the 'Pumpkin Patch' either with Preschool/school or as a family for fourteen years. I am not ready for this family tradition to come to an end. I remember my very first trip with Katherine when she was in Mrs. Karen's three year old Preschool class. I remember the year David refused to stuff the scarecrow. I remember Daniel being amazed at the contraption that squeezed the apples for juice. And last year, I recall noticing the change in Katherine's and David's relationship from one of squabbling siblings to one more like friends. Katherine had been driving them to school for about six weeks at that time. When the kids stopped going with school, we kept going as a family and used the opportunity to take photos using the fall and Halloween decorations as our backdrop. Many of these photos became our Christmas cards. It was always an expensive trip.....the pumpkins were too pricey. But somehow it became one of those things, like buying a Christmas tree. You know you pay too much, but do it anyway. It was the atmosphere we were paying for. I am not sure where we will get out pumpkins this year. We always get four. One huge family pumpkin (that Randy carves) and one for each of the children to carve. I wish they had waited one more year to close. At least then, we know things will have to be different with Katherine in college. I don't like the change coming early.
Pictures are of Katherine's first trip and our visit last year.

No comments: